We welcome beginners and experienced bird keepers, and are able to offer a number of benefits, including:
- The largest generalised bird keeping club in South Africa that caters for a range of species, from Finches to Macaws
- Assistance for members regarding possible permit applications for keeping indigenous birds.
- Bird keeping clubs often make regular financial contributions to various bird related conservation initiatives.
- Opportunities to attend talks/seminars/conferences by knowledgeable speakers on specialised topics, such as bird aviaries (inside and outside), keeping caged birds (national and international species), avian healthcare and The Southern Ground Hornbill etc.
- Access to videos on how South African bird keepers put their love for the hobby into practice.
- Modern day technologies for club management.
- RAS WhatsApp chat group open to all members to enjoy extremely informative information, including visuals and videos.
- Annual Bird Expo
- Annual Breeders Awards
Upon joining RAS you will receive a Starter Pack, which will provide you with valuable information regarding the art of bird keeping in South Africa with interesting .and informative articles, as well as club and other bird related merchants services.
The members of the Rand Avicultural Society meet on the last Tuesday of every month (except December) at the Honeydew Country Club, Tennis club section, at No 1 Boundary Rd, Honeydew, Johannesburg. Meetings start at 7.30pm for 8.00pm and end at approximately 10.pm. Visitors are welcome to bring their families and enjoy an evening with us in the wonderful world of aviculture.
Membership fees are R300.00 per year per family package.
We also cater for Country members who reside outside Gauteng. These members receive regular monthly meeting minutes, and are also able to participate in the RAS WhatsApp Chat Group which allows them to keep in close contact with members and current events. Country membership fee is R150 per year.